In 1914, the Lanchester was the second most numerous armoured car in service after the Rolls-Royce. It was originally designed to support air bases and retrieve downed pilots.
|Lanchester Armoured Car|
|Place of origin||United Kingdom|
|Armour||up to 8 mm|
|Vickers machine gun (turret)|
|Lewis Gun (stowed inside)|
60 hp (45 kW) Lanchester petrol engine
The Russian Army received 22 vehicles in December 1915. 19 of them were later rearmed with 37-mm naval Hotchkiss gun instead of MG. With the establishment of the mountain-to-coast trench system of the Western Front, armoured cars were of less use and the British Army taking over all armoured car use standardizes on the Rolls-Royce pattern. The Lanchesters were then sent to Russia in January 1916 with the RNAS expedition force.
During most of its service life, the Lanchester was considered a fast and reliable vehicle.
Vehicles received by the Russian Army were fitted with a small cupola on the turret and with side shields for the machine gun.